Latest posts by NewBoy2

Perenial Bee Attracting Plants

Posted: 25/10/2016 at 18:33

Thanks all

I will separately investigate all and make a choice


Posted: 25/10/2016 at 14:40


? May I very politely ask why you want fertiliser for garlic

Perenial Bee Attracting Plants

Posted: 25/10/2016 at 14:24


I want to plant a permanent 12 inch wide border down the side of my 14 yard long plot on the allotment

I would like to have the best chance of giving the bees / butterflies / other insects a good food supply for as MANY MONTHS as possible

I have some lavender cuttings that will be ready soon and I intend to plant 5 at regular intervals. 

? What can go in between

I realise this is a very difficult challenge but sitting against my shed with bees buzzing past me this Summer was very enjoyable so I wish to have more of them in 2017

Cutting Back Strawbs - Monty

Posted: 13/10/2016 at 18:44


Im very good at taking results and then .........where did I put them ??  

Cutting Back Strawbs - Monty

Posted: 11/10/2016 at 10:55

I have picked the flowers off the plants about 8 days ago and some new ones have appeared

I will pick 80% of these off and just for an experiment let the other 20% truck on

Thanks friends

Smellie Shrubs & Plants Please

Posted: 04/10/2016 at 11:20

Purchased the following

Tactile Plants

Stachys Byzantina...........Lambs Tongue

Scented Plants

Choisya Ternata........Mexican Orange Blossom

Rosmarinus Officinalis....Spice Island


Tashkent Mint

Climbing & Scented Plants

Trachelospermum      Jasminoides

Visual Plants

Miscanthus Sinensis Zebrinus

Zebra Grass


Bee Plants


I am not saying "How well I did " but hopefully you may be interested in how the Patients Garden is progressing 

Hope to settle them in asap

Cutting Back Strawbs - Monty

Posted: 04/10/2016 at 11:12

A few weeks ago MD suggested we should clear away the straw and take shears to the strawberry plants which I did

Within a week they had started to produce new shoots and now have flowers which MAY result in berries

? Should I leave them to bloom OR shear them again

I beleive that the theory is that we need the plants energy to stay in it to give it a good start for next season but that is some 7 months away

Thoughts please friends and also the reason why please as I am keen to learn

" Give a man a fish etc "

Smellie Shrubs & Plants Please

Posted: 25/09/2016 at 17:31

Thanks all

I have copied all your suggestions onto a new invention.......a piece of paper.....and Im heading for the local GC this week to start the research of whats available

This is hopefully a medium term project to benefit the patients

Lawn mower advice

Posted: 25/09/2016 at 17:26


Words of wisdom

This is a story in itself why I dont have a lawn mower

I had a shed with a rat under it

I moved the shed and the rat moved as well

I gave the shed to my Community garden for storage

The rat disappeared

Now I have no where to store a mower apart from my conservatory which is really part of the house

Its a bit like there was an old lady etc etc

Lawn mower advice

Posted: 20/09/2016 at 17:21

Boring Bosch strimmer battery died so I pay a local gardener £10.00 a month to come and cut the grass and take it away.

Last edited: 20 September 2016 17:21:47

Discussions started by NewBoy2

Bird Box

Which way to face 
Replies: 14    Views: 565
Last Post: 12/02/2017 at 17:34

Bee Hotel

Spring Clean or Not ? 
Replies: 1    Views: 183
Last Post: 27/01/2017 at 11:59

When to Start Off Saved Seeds

Replies: 4    Views: 363
Last Post: 12/01/2017 at 14:09

Bird Feeders you Can take Apart and Clean

Replies: 5    Views: 472
Last Post: 23/11/2016 at 22:05

Jasmin on a Shed

Replies: 4    Views: 527
Last Post: 07/11/2016 at 16:39

Perenial Bee Attracting Plants

Replies: 8    Views: 473
Last Post: 25/10/2016 at 18:33

Cutting Back Strawbs - Monty

Replies: 11    Views: 805
Last Post: 13/10/2016 at 18:59

Smellie Shrubs & Plants Please

Replies: 11    Views: 731
Last Post: 04/10/2016 at 11:20

Horse Manure & Worms

Replies: 10    Views: 660
Last Post: 24/10/2016 at 21:20

Scary Spiders on The Allotment

Replies: 15    Views: 620
Last Post: 21/08/2016 at 08:30

Planning the Plot

Usages of the area 
Replies: 3    Views: 281
Last Post: 21/07/2016 at 16:28

Mint leaves

How to use 
Replies: 10    Views: 569
Last Post: 24/07/2016 at 16:00

Follow On 4 Onions/Garlic/Shallots

Replies: 2    Views: 440
Last Post: 10/07/2016 at 13:22

Marker Pens that Work

Replies: 16    Views: 773
Last Post: 08/07/2016 at 10:44

Protective Robins

Replies: 1    Views: 291
Last Post: 28/06/2016 at 13:32
1 to 15 of 194 threads