Posted: 16/04/2016 at 00:00
Well another update as I have now moved the little bulblets into trays. And so thought I would add a few more photos of they and also My new order of Mother plant lily bulbs arrived so Also I have attached a few more images of the whole process for anyone who might be interested.
First an update on the scales from February 21st. It was only actually 7 weeks from beginning to these photos. NOT the stated 10 weeks as I thought above. (Sorry about that) I was surprised at quite how many bulblets would form on each scale. Some formed better than others depending on variety but all 20 bags produced a success at least 85% of scales in each bag had a minimum of 1 fully formed bulblet. There were about 6 different varieties that produced an enormous amount, with sometimes even 7 new bulblets on each scale (as below)
In face for me it was such a success (first time trying this.) That I decided to try again but this time with a lot more scales as I had just received my new batch for the garden. Maybe I wont have the same success rate but we can only try.
As before I mixed some cheap universal compost, expanded clay pellets, plain charcoal, Cat litter and this time a scoop of flower of sulphur (fungicide) Ignore the orange stuff on the corner that’s just a bit of rust on my wheel barrow Mix it all up and hey presto you have yourself a new potting mix. It worked great last time and is a cheap mix that seems to do the job.
This time I had A LOT more scales I had 3 trays like this with 3 different varieties. To be honest the mother bulbs were not at large crisp or as fresh but the price was right so worth a go. I layered a handful of scales then a layer of my mixture like lasagna in some Carrefour bags (ASDA bags) and will pop them up in the airing cupboard like I did with the little bags. I also put together two smaller inspection bags, so I can hope to see and judge the growth from the larger bags via the smaller see through plastic ones without having to disturb the bulk bags. They are not in a fully sealed bag like the first batch and I did moisten the compost more than I did with the last batch. For Some reason I felt they were a little dry last time and would have put on more growth if I had just kept them a little more moist. So were giving that a try this time Fingers crossed.
Posted: 11/04/2016 at 20:20
Invest in a small air gun. If you find any other solution please do let me know as I have the same problem here also. Minus the access to the air gun. YET !
Posted: 11/04/2016 at 09:04
Your more than welcome to move in. I hope your good at potting up and weeding haha
Posted: 10/04/2016 at 19:54
Do you care to show us all the picture also.
Mine has about 5 flowers on it.
Posted: 10/04/2016 at 18:27
Managed to finally clean up the green house at the new place and move all the baby plants from the spare bedroom into their new home. Now I can up my game on planting seeds