Posted: 14/10/2012 at 12:59
We have raised beds made from reclaimed railway sleepers - creosote-impregnated. They aren't too smelly as they're pretty well-seasoned. The plants grew well inside the beds and none were actually touching the sleepers as we planted them a few inches inside.
The question I now have is whether enough creosote or chemicals from the creosote could "leak" into the soil over time, and into the plants, to actually have any poisonous effects on us? I'd hate to look back after years of enjoying our own rocket, carrots, lettuce and tomatoes (although they're all green so maybe not) and find that we've also been slowly poisoning ourselves!