Posted: 22/06/2012 at 13:14
I asked hubs, who was always a keen pond and fish man (until last year) and he said
- Have you got soil in the pond? Not a good idea with Koi as they are notorious for digging around and disturbing the soil.
- Are the filters large enough for the amount of water you have and how often do you clean them out and at what level is the water taken from the pond?
- Have you an ultraviolet light in the filter system which kills the algae?
- Have you tried putting your plants in baskets lined with hessian to keep the fish away from the roots?
- How much of the surface area of the pond is shaded by plants? At least one third should be shaded.
- Do you feed the fish? Don't leave uneaten food after 10 minutes.
- Do you have visiting ducks?
I think that's enough to be getting on with but if you could give as much information as possible he'll be able to help you.