Posted: 13/04/2012 at 10:48
Always have a gardeners eye for reusing seeming useless items, to date I have
1) Reused the wooden slats from an old venetian blind as plant labels, plus the control wand as a plant support and the strings for tying back.
2) Large thick plastic ice cream pots now double as plant pots (They just needed a few holes drilled through the base for drainage).
3) Old decking boards leftovers from a friends decking project made a great raised planter (check the internet for raised bed plans if unsue how to do this) or alternatively scaffold boards can be brought cheaply from reclamation yards.
4) An old double glazing unit recycled, the glass taken out of the white upvc frame work and used to make the lidded top of a cold frame. The timber side walls were originally from an old shipping pallett that I carefully pulled apart.
5) Save seeds for replanting the following year - Several excellent guides on this site alone.