Posted: 19/09/2012 at 23:48
If you look in any garden with a handful of plants, at least one or two of them will be poisoness. Do you have daffidils in your garden in Spring? They are poisoness. Most of the toxin is found in the bulbs, but the leaves and stems carry alkaloids that can be damaging to health. During the second world war, the Dutch out of desperation fed daffodil bulbs to their starving cattle - the cattle died.
At least 40% of all plant families contain plants that carry alkaloids - some alkaloids can be harmful and fatal, whilst others help to wake us up in the morning (ie coffee).
With so many posioness plants in the garden, and inquisative children, you'd think there would be control of toxic plants, or big warning notices on plant labels saying don't let children (or anybody else) eat this plant. In fact, such warnings are few and far between, because its clearly a very rare incident.