Posted: 22/08/2014 at 19:51
Dried manure if applied too thickly in hot sunny weather can be disastrous for plants. Killed a whole greenhouse of tomatoes many years ago. Dried manure in the planting whole plus a thick mulch. Hot sun the next day and the "fumes" we're fatal.
Outdoors plants like Phormiums, lupins and others suffered badly with over use of dried manure. Noticed this too with mushroom compost in the past but suspected chemicals ....possibly weedkiller remains......in the mix. Mushroom composf now has less chemicals I,think so,prob not a problem now.
Over concentrated fertilisers or anything can be harmful .....little and often is better