Posted: 18/03/2013 at 12:23
Monday morning's trek into the garden has revealed some wins and some losses.
Sorting through my borders, I was very happy to discover that one of my clumps of alliums has expanded from seven last year to twelve new shoots this year, all looking very substantial in fatness. Yet to see if all of the shoots will flower but I am delighted and shall be planting more this coming autumn.
Also, I counted the breaking buds on my Eremurus to discover twenty on each plant, that forty potential flower spikes! Since last year was twenty-one and the year before was seven, I guess these might need splitting in the summer months of dormancy?
So, to the losses so far this year...
I dug up three clumps of Heleniums from my purple garden, in order to move them since erm, they are not purple. They have always suffered in that spot anyways and I wanted to give them a bed with better soil and more light, but what I pulled out the ground was rotten mess with only the tiniest plants attached to the outer edge, so these have been potted up and I now gain one gap in the full sun border looking for a new plant
I'm also gravely disappointed with my Bottle Brush shrub which I thought was dead last year after the snows flattened it. So I dug it up to take it back to the GC that had labeled it hardy, when I realised it was not dead. It went straight in a pot and I nursed it through the summer month until it had a lovely crown of leaves and looked vibrant once more.
To save the same this year, I left it in the pot so I could move it into my cool room through the winter without success. Once again, all new growth has died, despite light and water and I am at a loss as to how I might treat this beautiful but troublesome plant that survives neither cruelty nor kindness!