- Botanical name: Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' is a slow-growing acer, bearing deeply lobed, red-purple leaves that turn a brilliant red in autumn. It makes a beautiful small tree, bearing light green, five-lobed leaves flecked with cream. In spring, the leaves are often edged with pink, and in autumn the cream areas turn deep scarlet before falling.
For best results, grow Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' in moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Protect it from the harshest winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.