- Botanical name: Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' makes a beautiful small tree, bearing beautiful lobed leaves, which are deep purple in summer, turning scarlet in autumn.
For best results, grow Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' in moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Protect it from the harshest winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
- Sun exposure: Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.