- Botanical name: Betula albosinensis 'Fascination'
- Common name: Chinese silver birch
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Colourful bark
Betula albosinensis, or Chinese silver birch, is a medium-sized deciduous tree with an open crown, giving it a handsome appearance. However its most fetching feature is its bark, which shines with a burnished copper gleam in different shades of rose, pink and purple. The bark peels gracefully, offering a contrasting honey or reddish-maroon backing with a grey bloom.
Betula albosinensis 'Fascination' has larger and darker green leaves than the species, which appear in April with yellow catkins up to 10cm in length. Like all birches, Betula albosinensis 'Fascination' thrives in most situations, but for best results grow in moist but well-drained soil in sun to partial shade.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
- Wildlife features: Nectar/pollen rich flowers, Provides shelter/habitat
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.