- Botanical name: Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata'
- Common name: Hornbeam
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Attractive to wildlife, Autumn colour, Flowers
Hornbeam, Carpinus betulus, is a large deciduous tree, similar to beech. It's a popular choice for hedging, and supports a wide variety of wildlife. Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' is a particularly lovely variety. Its form is neater and denser than the species, and the leaves have more of a glossy sheen. Young plantsgrow quickly, producing a formal, almost triangular shape. The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its prestigious Award of Garden Merit (AGM).
For best results, grow Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' in moist but well-drained soil, either as a focal point in a large garden or as part of a formal hedge.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
- Wildlife features: Provides shelter/habitat, Makes a good wildlife hedge
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.