- Botanical name: Hakonechloa macra
- Common name: Ornamental grass
- Plant type: Perennial
- Features: Autumn colour
Hakonechloa macra is an eye-catching ornamental grass, forming clumps of elegant arching foliage throughout the season. It works well as path edging or underplanting shrubs, and looks stunning when combined with hostas and other ornamental grasses. But it works equally well on its own, especially as a focal point in a container. Its architectural blooms can be dried and used in flower arranging.
For best results, grow Hakonechloa macra in moist, humus-rich soil in cool shade. Cut foliage down before new growth starts in spring and mulch annually with well-rotted manure or compost.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Clay/heavy/moist
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.