- Botanical name: Paeonia lactiflora 'White Wings'
- Common name: Herbaceous peony
- Plant type: Perennial
- Features: Flowers
Herbaceous peonies are a popular choice for providing colour and drama to ornamental borders in late spring and early summer. They bear large, often double flowers in whites, pinks, reds and yellows. Unlike tree peonies, herbaceous peonies die back to ground level in winter.
Paeonia lactiflora ‘White Wings’ bears bright white, single flowers with a golden yellow centre, in May and June. It seems to be more tolerant of shade than other peonies. For best results, grow Paeonia lactiflora ‘White Wings’ in well-drained, neutral soil, in full sun.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Maintenance: Prefers rich soil
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
Effects:Harmful if ingested, Purgative if ingested