- Botanical name: Persicaria 'Red Dragon'
- Common name: Persicaria
- Plant type: Perennial
- Features: Dramatic foliage, Flowers
Persicaria 'Red Dragon' is an unusual herbaceous plant, grown for its foliage rather than flowers. Each leaf is sharply pointed, with maroon and green patterning and a pale white margin. It quickly develops into a handsome, upright clump.
Persicaria 'Red Dragon' is tolerant of a range of soils and will happily grow in sun or partial shade. To make the most of its foliage, grow alongside contrasting foliage plants such as silver-leaved plectranthus or golden leaved grasses. It also looks good in jungle planting schemes, where it makes the perfect partner to cannas, bamboos and bananas. Alternatively, grow it in a pot on the patio and display it in its own right.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Front, Middle
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.