- Botanical name: Phaseolus coccineus 'Scarlet Emperor'
- Common name: Runner bean
- Plant type: Vegetable
Runner beans are incredibly easy to grow, bearing masses of long, sweet-tasting beans all summer long. There's a huge range of cultivars to choose from, bearing red, white or bi-coloured flowers, adding to their ornamental value.
Phaseolus coccineus 'Scarlet Emperor' is an old favourite runner bean, with bright red flowers. It produces heavy crops of long, smooth textured dark-green pods with an excellent flavour.
Grow Phaseolus coccineus 'Scarlet Emperor' in fertile, moist but well-drained soil in full sun. Keep plants well watered and harvest the beans regularly to prolong flowering.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Hardiness: Tender
- Maintenance: Prefers rich soil
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
- Wildlife features: Nectar/pollen rich flowers
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.