- Botanical name: Phormium tenax 'All Black'
- Common name: New Zealand flax
- Plant type: Perennial
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Evergreen
- Features: Dramatic foliage
Phormiums or New Zealand flax are popular plants for adding an architectural touch to the patio planting scheme. Their elegant long leaves are evergreen, making them ideal plants for winter colour.
Phormium tenax 'All Black' produces strong upright tufts of very dark foliage which is the perfect complement to brightly coloured perennials and bedding plants. They can be damaged by very strong cold winds, so plant in a sheltered spot with moisture retentive but free draining soil.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.