- Botanical name: Santolina chamaecyparissus 'Pretty Carol'
- Plant type: Shrub
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Evergreen
- Features: Aromatic foliage, Scented flowers
Santolina chamaecyparissus, or cotton lavender, is a Mediterranean shrub that makes a neat, rounded bush, with finely divided foliage. It's ideal for using as groundcover, to fill gaps at the front of the border, and is also well suited to growing in pots.
Santolina chamaecyparissus ‘Pretty Carol’ is a small cultivar. In summer it bears bright yellow pom-pom flowers, in contrast with silver, fragrant foliage. It's extremely attractive to pollinators, including bees. For best results, grow Santolina chamaecyparissus ‘Pretty Carol’ in moist but well-drained soil, in a sunny, sheltered spot. Protect from winter frosts in colder regions, or grow in pots to move indoors in autumn. The Royal Horticultural Society has give it its prestigious Award of Garden Merit.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Front
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy