- Botanical name: Solanum tuberosum 'Cara'
- Common name: Potato
- Plant type: Vegetable
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Evergreen
Solanum tuberosum 'Cara'
Maincrop potato varieties occupy the ground longer than other kinds, but produce the heaviest yields, often with very large tubers ideal for baking.
Solanum tuberosum 'Cara' bears oval, pink-eyed tubers with moist flesh perfect for baking and chipping. It shows excellent resistance to golden eelworm and blight, and copes well with drought.
Grow Solanum tuberosum 'Cara' in moist but well-drained soil in full sun. Water the tubers thoroughly two weeks before harvesting, and leave them to dry on the soil surface for a few hours before storing in a dry, frost-free place.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Hardiness: Tender
- Maintenance: Prefers rich soil
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist
Effects:Harmful if ingested