- Botanical name: Tulipa acuminata
- Common name: Tulip
- Plant type: Bulb
- Features: Flowers
Species tulips often have more natural-looking blooms than their hybrid relatives. Tulipa acuminata has long, pointed, flame-red petals with a yellow base. It's perfect for growing in containers on a patio, or planted in groups in a border.
For best results, grow Tulipa acuminata against a dark backdrop, to make the most of its colouring, or naturalised in short-growing grass.
- Sun exposure: Full sun
- Aspect: South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Front
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Maintenance: Prefers rich soil
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline
Effects:Purgative if ingested