As the nights draw in, little beats cosying up with with a good book or two.
Monet’s Garden by Vivian Russell (£16.99) is a new paperback edition of Vivian Russell’s much-admired exploration of Claude Monet’s garden at Giverny. This book ventures behind the scenes to chart the history of one of the world’s most famous gardens, linking the world of Monet the artist with Monet the gardener.
The Writer’s Garden by Jackie Bennett (£16.99) is a guide to the gardens created and lived in by 20 of our most famous novelists, playwrights, biographers and children’s authors. From Sir Walter Scott’s fairytale Scottish castle to Rupert Brook’s riverside retreat near Cambridge; from Virginia Woolf’s rural Sussex idyll to Beatrix Potter’s windswept hill-top farm in the Lake District, the gardens reveal another side to well-known people and something of their hidden nature.
RHS Exotic Journal (£12.99) and RHS Exotic Notebook (£9.99) by the Royal Horticultural Society are covered with real silk cloth and include a ribbon marker. Containing four colour images of exotic flowers and birds from the world-famous RHS Lindley Library, this decorative lined journal and notebook make the perfect gift.
This Land by Joe Cornish & Roly Smith (£30) sees Joe Cornish, one of Britain’s finest landscape photographers, explore fifty of the most amazing landscapes in Britain. Taking its cue from these Isles' extraordinarily diverse geology, This Land ranges from the ancient quartzite rocks of the Scottish Highlands to the gritstones and limestones of the English Pennines and the rolling chalk downs of Southern England.
We have four sets of books to give away, each worth £86.96.
To find out more about the above books, visit quartoknows.com.
- We have four sets of books to give away, each is worth £86.96 and comprises: Monet’s Garden by Vivian Russell (£16.99); The Writer’s Garden by Jackie Bennett (£16.99); RHS Exotic Journal (£12.99) and RHS Exotic Notebook (£9.99) by the Royal Horticultural Society and This Land by Joe Cornish & Roly Smith (£30)
- The closing date of the competition is 11:55am, Friday 4 Nov, 2016
- Winners will be notified and prizes sent out after this date
What is the United Kingdom's highest mountain?
The answer is:
and the prize goes to…
Barbara mcgibben of Antrim
Julia Harrison of oxon
laura towell of oxon
Julie Guy of Suffolk
See here for Terms & Conditions
Terms & Conditions
1. The promoter is Immediate Media Company London Limited, Vineyard House, 44 Brook Green, London, W6 7BT.
2. The BBC Code of Conduct for competitions can be found at www.bbc.co.uk/competitioncode/ and all BBC magazines and their associated websites comply with the Code.
3. The promotion is open to all residents of the UK, including the Channel Islands, aged 18 years or older, except the Promoter’s employees or contractors and anyone connected with the promotion or their direct family members.
4. The closing date for entries is noon on the date stated above.
5. Entries received after the closing date of the promotion will not be considered.
6. Only electronic form entries used within the competition section will be accepted. This does not include emails.
7. By entering the promotion, the participants agree:
o to be bound by these terms and conditions; and
o that their surname and county of residence may be released if they win a prize.
9. Only one entry will be permitted per person, regardless of method of entry. Bulk entries made by third parties will not be permitted.
10. The winning entrant(s) will be the first correct entry/entries drawn at random from all the correct entries after the closing date.
11. The Promoter’s decision as to the winner is final and no correspondence relating to the promotion will be entered.
12. The winner(s) will be notified within 28 days of the close of the promotion by email.
13. If the winner is unable to be contacted within 60 days of the promotion’s closing date, the Promoter reserves the right to offer the prize to a runner up, or to re-offer the prize in any future promotion.
14. There is no cash alternative and the prize will not be transferable.
15. Prizes must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred.
16. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize with one of the same or greater value.
17. The name and county of residence of the winner(s) will be available online at gardenersworld.com/win/previous-winners within two months of the closing date of the promotion.
18. The Promoter reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions or to cancel, alter or amend the promotion at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control.
19. The Promoter does not accept any responsibility for lost, delayed or fraudulent entries.
20. The Promoter excludes liability to the full extent permitted by law for any loss, damage or injury occurring to the participant arising from his or her entry into the promotion or occurring to the winner(s) arising from his or her acceptance of a prize.
21. The promotion is subject to the laws of England.