Meet Monty in Provence
Enjoy tours of exquisite private gardens, and take in the sights and sounds of Provence, on this exclusive BBC Gardeners' World Magazine holiday. For further details or to book, please visit traveleditions.co.uk.
3-8 June, 2019
Prices start from £1,750 per person*
This holiday has now passed, please see photographs from the trip on our travel and events feedback page
We are unlocking the gates to some of France's most charming gardens, including several not normally open...
- La Louve is the unique creation of Hermès designer Nicole de Vésian – a lesson in clipped forms and intimate spaces – all with a deep sense of calm. Monty will join us to explore the garden. Please note there are steep steps here
- Clos Pascal is another inspiring garden by Nicole de Vésian – in Ménerbes, the village that starred in Peter Mayle’s A Year in Provence
- La Jeg is a breath-taking sculpture garden (pictured above) by international designer Anthony Paul. Here we meet the owners, enjoy a guided tour and aperos as the sun sets behind nearby Mont Ventoux
- We’ll meet artist and sculptor Marc Nucera, who previously worked with designer Nicole de Vésian, and who’ll share his striking garden with us
- Le Pavillon de Galon is a new, award-winning garden, full of local flora, created by photographer Guy Hervais around an 18th-century mansion
- Val Joanis is a world-renowned winery that also has a remarkable, formal kitchen garden. We’ll enjoy a guided tour and wine-tasting
- Jardin Aquatique is a beautiful water garden, featuring water-lily covered ponds, filled with koi carp, frogs and terrapins
- Jardin des Plantes Tinctoriales, planted on the terraces of the 18th century Château de Lauris, is a fascinating garden dedicated to the growing of plants used for the production of natural dyes and pigments
We’ll explore the charming village of Gordes and travel to the abbey of Notre-Dame de Sénanque, famous for its lavender fields. A visit to the Lavender Museum will reveal the region’s signature plant’s place in Provençal life. Step into the shoes of artist Paul Cézanne at Atelier de Cézanne, where you can see an original letter to his friend, artist Claude Monet.
Monty in Provence
Editor, Lucy Hall with Monty
Associate Editor, David Hurrion
Your tour of Provence
The group will be based in the region’s elegant former capital, Aix-en-Provence. Founded by the Romans and former home of celebrated painter Paul Cézanne - whose workshop is a must-see for visitors. It’s rich in history and a delight to explore – with the café-lined Cours Mirabeau and lively street market unmissable. Your hotel is in easy walking distance of the sights.
Watch episodes from BBC TV series Monty Don's French Gardens, which include visits to Paul Cézanne's home and the kitchen gardens of Val Joanis.
Monty joins us at La Louve – he says of this garden “La Louve has the sureness of a perfect melody. Simple yet elegant – terribly French!”
- Six days and five nights’ in 4-star hotel accommodation, bed and breakfast, in Aix-en-Provence Best Western Le Galice Hotel
- Two dinners and one lunch included
- Entry to public and private gardens, winery, museums and attractions
- Return Eurostar and TGV from London
- St Pancras to Aix-en-Provence – upgrades to Standard Premier on Eurostar and to First Class TGV on request
- Services of Gardeners’ World Magazine Associate Editor, David Hurrion, as tour leader
- Editor Lucy Hall joins for 5 and 6 June
- Monty joins the tour on 6 June at La Louve and gives a pre-dinner talk that evening
Dining area in Le Galice Hotel, Aix-en-Provence
Explore the kitchen gardens at Val Joanis and try the wines from this world-renowned winery
Visit the historic Notre Dame de Sénanque – Note: lavender may not be in flower at time of visit
Enjoy a guided tour of spectacular sculpture garden, La Jeg, before having drinks and canapés on the terrace, with views of Mont Ventoux
Discover the importance of this region’s signature plant on a visit to the Musée de Lavande
The group will be accompanied by Associate Editor, David Hurrion for the duration of the trip.
Day 1 Travel at 09.22 from St Pancras by Eurostar and TGV to Aix-en-Provence, then transfer to Le Galice hotel, before enjoying welcome drink and dinner here.
Day 2 Spend the morning in Aix-en-Provence and visit the studio of artist Paul Cézanne. Free time for lunch in the town. In the afternoon visit Val Joanis for tour and wine-tasting, before travelling to Le Pavillon de Galon. Return to hotel for free evening time.
Day 3 In the morning visit Le Jardin Aquatique: Aux Fleurs de L'Eau near St Remy, with lunch taken in the town. Lucy Hall will then join you at Marc Nucera's garden, before spending the late-afternoon/early-evening at La Jeg. Here you'll enjoy a guided tour, followed by drinks and canapés on the terrace. Return to hotel.
Day 4 Visit to Clos Pascal in the morning, then lunch in a traditional bistro in Bonnieux. In the afternoon you'll visit La Louve, where you'll be accompanied by Monty Don. The group will then return to the hotel for a drink, a talk from Monty, and dinner with wine in a private room.
Day 5 Morning visit to Jardins de Plantes Tinctoriales, with lunch in the hilltop villages of Gordes. In the afternoon the group will visit historic Notre Dame de Sénanque and the Musée de Lavande, before returning to the hotel.
Day 6 The group returns to St Pancras, London on Eurostar via Lille, where there is a brief change.
- Train upgrades from £160 per person
- Flights available – please enquire
- Extend your trip – call the Travel Editions team to discuss options
Village of Gordes
Atelier de Cézanne
BBC Gardeners' World Magazine Editor, Lucy Hall says:
"Discover this enticing region's gardens, plants, landscape and soft light, on our exclusive tour. I'll join the group for 2 days, while Monty will join for a day, which will include an entertaining talk by him that evening. Sign up for a memorable holiday!"
*Terms and conditions
Insurance is available from £39; single travellers are very welcome – the single room supplement is £355 per person.
Holiday organised by and subject to booking conditions of Travel Editions Tours Ltd. Please note all timings are approximate and may be changed. Confirmation will be sent with joining instructions 28 days prior to departure. In the case of unforeseen circumstances experts may be substituted.