Are you confused by the different types of compost and plant food available? Join our online Masterclass, Compost and Feeding, on Friday 7 August, 2020 at noon. During the one-hour session you’ll find out how to choose the most suitable growing media for your plants and how best to feed them. Tickets cost just £10.
Book your place now
What’s in the Masterclass
Join our Associate Editor David Hurrion for a Masterclass on choosing the right growing media and plant feeds. This hour-long Masterclass Online (with extra time for questions) will cover the following topics:
Soil and organic matter
- The basics of growing media – what do soil and compost provide for plants?
- The difference between soil and compost
- Plant plumbing and water movement through the soil
- Components of soil
- Organic matter – types and benefits
- Home composting – three basic types
- Ideal conditions for composting and how long it takes
Plants and feeding
- Major and minor plant nutrients, and their benefits
- Which soils can be deficient in nutrients?
- Visible symptoms of nutrient deficiency
- The various sources of nutrients – fertilisers, organic matter; organic vs synthetic fertilisers; simple (straight) fertilisers and compounds fertilisers
- Feeding dos and don’ts
Plus, videos covering:
- The basics of good composting
- Structures for making compost
- Making leaf mould
- Basic types of fertiliser
- Practical ways of preparing and applying fertilisers
Your Masterclass host
Associate editor David Hurrion shares his gardening expertise
Led by expert tutor, our Associate Editor, David Hurrion, he will share his years of gardening experience, and answer your plant propagation questions in a live Q&A session. David has led many live masterclasses for BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and, for the first time, he is bringing his skills to you online, so you can learn from him from the comfort of your own home.
Your Masterclass itinerary
Friday 7 August, 2020 at noon (British Summer Time)
Presentation Horticultural expert David Hurrion will lead a one-hour online presentation
Q&A David will invite your questions for a live Q&A session after the Masterclass presentation
To book your place on our Compost and Feeding Masterclass costs just £10.
Book your place now
Please note: if you have any difficulty booking please drop us a line.
Get more advice from David
To get a taster of the Masterclass and get more information and advice from David Hurrion check out our weekly video series, Ask David, in which he answers your gardening questions.