House plants can help make any indoor space more beautiful. Growing and taking care of house plants can also offer mood-boosting benefits.
BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine has collaborated with digital educational platform, FutureLearn to bring you a brand new online gardening course, Healthy House Plants: A Complete Guide to Gardening Indoors. This four-week online course has been designed so you can learn at your own pace, to provide you with tips and advice on growing indoor plants and taking you on a world journey, exploring exotic plants.
Your course instructor
Led by expert tutor and Associate Editor, David Hurrion, who will share his 50 years of gardening experience, bringing his skills to you online, so you can learn from him in the comfort of your own home.
What’s covered in this course?
Week 1: What will you grow?
- Why grow plants indoors?
- Ornamental house plants
- Growing plants for food
- Creativity with house plants
Week 2: Growing conditions and the indoor environment
- Origins of common house plants and their natural habitats
- The pros and cons of the indoor environment
- Different rooms of the house / Growing environments
- Evaluating the growing conditions within a room
Week 3: Caring for your house plants
- Choosing suitable containers for house plants
- Compost for house plants
- Watering methods and suitability for different plants
- Maintenance and ongoing plant care
Week 4: Making more plants and problem solving
- Filling your home with more plants
- Methods of raising new plants
- What to do when things go wrong
- Recap: what you’ve learned
Course registration and cost
There are three options for registering for this course:
- FREE – Access to the course is limited to six-weeks, and no certificate is given
- Upgrade for £32, unlimited time access, and a printed and digital certificate
- Unlimited access to all FutureLearn short courses: £16.67/month
More online courses with FutureLearn
- Gardening for Beginners: The Basics and Beyond: Grow your gardening skills with easy-to-follow techniques aimed at both new and experienced home gardeners in this five-week online course.