When picturing a garden at its best, brimming with colour, many tend to think of the height of summer, but with the right planning and mixture of planting, you can extend interest into every season, so there’s always something to admire and draw you into the garden.
To ensure you know how to make the most of your garden, we’re running a four-part series of our popular online Masterclasses, on Year-Round Colour in Your Garden. Our spring session has now taken place (see below for information on On-Demand recording), we continue the series with Summer Colour, so you’re armed with the knowledge and methods for creating a spectacular garden, no matter what the season. Whether you’re new to gardening or have well-seasoned green fingers, there’s always something to learn and our online masterclasses are the perfect way to pick up tips, hints and a huge raft of skills.
Masterclass Online series – dates for your diary
- Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Spring – THIS LIVE WEBINAR HAS FINISHED – all new registrants to the series will receive a link to view a recording of this webinar, with access to the course handouts on the video player control bar.
- Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Summer – Friday 18 June, 2021 at 12 noon (BST)
- Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Autumn – Friday 24 September, 2021 at 12 noon (BST)
- Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Winter – Friday 3 December, 2021 at 12 noon (GMT)
Additional Masterclasses coming soon:
Essential Spring Lawn Care Masterclass – Friday 16 April, 2021 at 12noon (GMT) – find out more and book now
Year-Round Colour series pricing
Prices for non-subscribers:
- Book each Masterclass in the series separately – pay £15 per class
- Save £10 when you book for the complete four-class series – £50 in total
Prices for magazine subscribers:
- Save 20 per cent on each single Masterclass in the series – £12 per class
- Save £15 (25 per cent) when you book the complete series of four Masterclasses – £45 in total
- Please find instructions further down this page for claiming your subscriber discount
Each online Masterclass lasts roughly one hour, plus a 20-30 minute long Q&A session, and all registrants will be able to download a set of notes from the course.
*If you’re unable to attend the live session, all registered attendees will also be able to watch a recording of the live session, which will be made available shortly after the live session, with a unique link by email. You’ll have the opportunity to re-watch the recording up to three times, this is not time limited. Please note, you’ll be unable to take part in the live Q&A session.
What’s in the Masterclass: Year Round Colour in Your Garden – Summer
Join our Associate Editor, David Hurrion for a Masterclass on how to plan summer colour in your garden and which actions to take now to improve it for next year. This hour-long Masterclass Online (with roughly 20-30 minutes extra time for questions) will cover the following topics:
- Inspiration of key plants to grow to maximise summer colour in your garden – summer shrubs; summer herbaceous perennials and summer-flowering bulbs
- Choosing the right plants for the different locations and aspects in your garden
- Selecting plants to suit the themes and style of your garden and home
- Summer colour palette – how to make the most of your colour schemes
- Ways to plant to make best use of the available space in your garden
- Simple design tricks to make the most of colour
- Discover ways to propagate and grow more of the summer plants you already have in your plot
- Instant container planting ideas for summer colour
- Essential maintenance tips to optimise the colour from summer plants – including feeding and pruning
Your Masterclass host
Expert tutor, our Associate Editor, David Hurrion, will share over 40 years of practical gardening experience, and answer your questions on creating a garden for year-round interest in a live Q&A session with our Gardening Editor, Emma Crawforth. David has led many live masterclasses for BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and, now is bringing his skills to you online, so you can learn from him from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in the world.
Your Masterclass itinerary
Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Summer: Friday 18 June, 2021 at 12 noon (BST)
Presentation Horticultural expert, David Hurrion will lead a one-hour online presentation
Q&A David will invite your questions for a live Q&A session after the Masterclass presentation
Handout notes You’ll be able to download a set of course notes for reference, these will also be available with the recording and via a WeTransfer download link via email
Recording A recording of the live course will be made available to all registered attendees to re-watch at a time which suits you. You’ll be able to watch the recording up to three times, with your own personalised link which will be sent to you shortly after the end of the live session
To book your place on our Masterclass Online: Year-Round Colour in Your Garden – Summer costs £15 – subscribers save 20 per cent on the ticket price, please find your exclusive subscriber discount code on the Subscriber Club offers page.
Book for the entire four-part Year-Round Colour in Your Garden series and save £10, subscribers save £15 (25 per cent).
Subscribers, please note, there are separate discount codes for each Masterclass and for the series link. Please read details on offer card carefully.
Note, please ensure your email address is entered correctly at point of registration so you receive your link to join the class. If you have any difficulty booking please drop us a line.
Missed a Masterclass you wished you’d seen? Find more upcoming Masterclasses and recorded On-Demand sessions to book now
Get more advice from David
To get a taster of the Masterclass and get more information and advice from David Hurrion check out our weekly video series, Ask David, in which he answers your gardening questions.