- Botanical name: Acer palmatum 'Kagiri-nishiki'
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
Acer palmatum ‘Kagiri-Nishiki’ is a variegated Japanese maple, bearing deeply lobed, mid-green leaves with a slightly bluish tinge and with pink and white margins, throughout summer. Leaves turn crimson-gold before falling in autumn.
For best results, grow ‘Kagiri-Nishiki’ in sun or partial shade, and protect it from the harshest winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, South facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.