- Botanical name: Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy'
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
Holder of the Royal Horticultural Society's prestigious Award of Garden Merit (AGM), Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy' is deservedly popular. It makes a beautiful mound-shaped tree, with reddish-purple seven-lobed leaves that turn scarlet in autumn.
For best results, grow Acer palmatum 'Red Pygmy' in moist but well-drained soil in partial shade. Protect it from the harshest winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
- Sun exposure: Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.