- Botanical name: Acer palmatum
- Common name: Japanese maple
- Plant type: Tree
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Deciduous
- Features: Autumn colour, Dramatic foliage
Acer palmatum is a deciduous, woody shrub native to parts of Asia and Russia. There are many garden-worthy cultivars available, which have been bred for their leaf shapes and colours.
There are many cultivars to choose from, suitable for a range of situations. Most of them put on a spectacular autumn display as the leaves change dramatic shade of yellow, orange and red before falling.
For best results, grow Acer palmatum in partial shade, and protect it from the harshest winds, which may cause leaf scorch.
- Sun exposure: Full sun, Dappled shade, Partial shade
- Aspect: North facing, East facing, West facing
- Position in border: Middle, Back
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Maintenance: Prefers rich soil
- Soil type: Well drained/light/sandy, Clay/heavy/moist, Chalky/alkaline, Acidic, Boggy
Effects:No toxic effects reported for this plant.