As the nights draw in and the temperatures begin to dip, it’s time to let your garden furniture take a break for the season until warmer months arrive once again.
Below, we’ve drawn up a selection of outdoor furniture covers to shield your favourite items, from rattan garden furniture to dining tables and chairs. We’ve included options designed for specific pieces such as L-shaped patio sofas, parasols, swing seats and more.
Want to give your garden furniture a spring clean when you remove the covers? Our experts have put the best pressure washers through their paces, so you can buy with confidence.
The best outdoor furniture covers in 2023
Browse our selection of protective furniture covers below;
Garden Trading Outdoor Furniture Cover
This weatherproof cover will protect furniture from the elements but it's also breathable, allowing excess moisture to escape. A toggle allows the cover to be loosened or tightened for an exact fit and various sizes are available depending on your furniture set. A storage bag is included for the warmer months when the cover is not needed.
Buy Garden Trading Outdoor Furniture Cover at Garden Trading
Garland Two Seater Large Bistro Set Cover
This garden furniture cover is designed to fit a garden bistro set, consisting of a small table and two chairs. The cover is UV resistant and will protect your furniture from the weather as well as potential bird droppings, tree sap and any other dirt which could coat it during the winter months.
Buy Garland Two Seater Large Bistro Set Cover at Greenfingers
Jayant Patio Sofa Cover
This outdoor furniture cover is designed specifically for those with an L-shaped patio sofa. The breathable cover has UV protection to prevent fading and it should keep your seating clean and dry through even the worst weather. A drawstring toggle also allows the fit to be adjusted snugly and help keep it in place.
Premium Large Cushion Bag
Most furniture covers for outdoor seating advise removing cushions first and storing them inside. This cushion bag is ideal for those who don't have the space indoors or would prefer to store everything together. The bag is waterproof with welded seams and has full UV protection to keep them clean and dry when not in use. The bag is guaranteed for seven years.
More like this
Buy Premium Large Cushion Bag at Dunelm
Gemitto Protective Parasol Cover
Protect your best garden parasol and prevent damage during the winter with this specifically designed outdoor furniture cover. It's waterproof while remaining breathable and the rust-proof side zip makes it easy to access and close again. It's also resistant to wind and can be tightened simply using a drawstring.
Buy Gemitto Protective Parasol Cover at Amazon
Dokon Patio Stacking Chair Cover
Ideal for those with stackable garden chairs, this cover is resistant to UV rays, rain, tears and fading. It includes mesh-lined air vents for breathability and has four straps to help secure the cover over the chairs. It comes with a storage bag for the warmer months when the chairs will be in use.
Buy Dokon Patio Stacking Chair Cover at Amazon
Protective Rattan Furniture Dining Set Cover
Available in a variety of sizes this weatherproof outdoor furniture cover can be used to protect a range of garden sets depending on your needs. Suitable for patio seating, balcony tables and even your barbeque, the cover can be tightened using a chord threaded through the eyelets to ensure the best fit.
Buy Protective Rattan Furniture Dining Set Cover at Wayfair
Outsunny Large Swing Chair Cover
This outdoor furniture cover is designed specifically for garden swing seats. The cover goes over the entire structure and protects it from the elements, whether rain or UV rays. With a waterproof finish, it can be wiped clean easily while the tightly stitched cloth material and PVC coating ensure it remains strong and secure.
Buy Outsunny Large Swing Chair Cover at Robert Dyas
How to cover outdoor furniture
The first step in protecting your outdoor furniture is having a high-quality cover for it. Once you have invested in this, your favourite seating and dining sets can stay in top-notch condition, whatever the season and weather. It's pretty straightforward when it comes to covering your furniture – here are some general tips:
- Measure accurately: For the perfect fit, make sure you measure your outdoor furniture before choosing your cover. You want it to be a snug fit to ensure maximum protection.
- Choose quality materials: Opt for covers made from durable, hardwearing materials that are weatherproof against both rainy and sunny conditions. Materials such as polyester and vinyl are good options to help extend the life of your furniture.
- Secure tightly: Once you have placed the cover over your furniture, make sure you fasten it securely. Many covers have built-in fasteners or drawstrings - these will ensure the covers are kept in place during harsh weather and will also prevent any disturbance by wildlife.
When to cover outdoor furniture
To ensure your garden furniture remains in optimum condition all year round, it’s important protect it from the elements by covering it up when not in use. Here are some tips on when exactly to cover your table and chair sets and swing seats:
- Cover at night: Make sure your garden furniture is covered overnight. As the sun sets and temperatures drop, it’s essential to shield your furniture from dew, moisture and cooler air during the night.
- Cover in bad weather conditions: Heavy winds and rainfall can cause damage to exposed furniture - whether it’s raining, snowing or stormy, make sure your outdoor furniture is covered securely.
- Cover in sunny conditions: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can lead to furniture becoming damaged and faded, so cover it in peak daylight hours to protect against UV rays.
- Cover when not in use: Make sure to keep your furniture protected when not in use by shielding it with a good-quality cover, particularly during the winter months and when you are away on holiday.
This Product Guide was last updated in September 2023. We apologise if anything has changed in price or availability.