London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 7°C
8 messages
14/09/2012 at 10:06
My FIG TREE IS A DWARF ONE, TO BE GROWN IN A POT IT STARTED OFF GREAT, BUT NOW IT HAS THIS BROWN MARKINGS ON IT, LIKE EITHER A CATERPILLAR HAS BEEN MUCHING OR ON THE INNER LEAVE SONTHINE ELSE, HELP!!!!
14/09/2012 at 11:52

Fig's are normally trouble free, they can develop problems though if the roots do not get moisture, irregular watering for pots is not the way to go.
They do best in the ground although like mint the roots need restricting so set in a brick box or in a large bottomless pot they then get the residual moisture at the base.
As most disease is fungal, Coral spot or Grey mould, I am not sure what you describe but try washing down with a light mix or warm water and washing up liquid see if it clears.
Sorry i can not be more specific.

Frank.

14/09/2012 at 19:07
Figs are better n the ground but do well in pots. I have grown both ways. Are the brown markings on leaves or stems? How big is the pot? Do you feed it? Does the name brown turkey seem right? Is it growing in sun or shade? I have a young fig in pot but it did not enjoy this wet summer. Figs like sun and warmth
21/09/2012 at 14:31
Thankyou Frank, i will try your ideas with the warm water and washing up liquid. I wish i could have it in the groud, nly i have lawn with the rubbish from the rest of the other houses in it.I'll put some bricks under neath to keep the pot off the gravel so that it can not have too much water, to waterlog it. I had a good look at it the other day and it seems to be around the edge mostly and just slightly going intoward the centre but it is little spots or lines. Thank very much..

Hi Chrispher2, the spots which are going around the leaves yes they are brown markings and i haven't fed it as in my instructions it didn't mention it.there on both. 23cm No i don't think mine did very much either, it's in the shade all day, what would you think of feeding it. Thankyou very much.

21/09/2012 at 22:24

Wrong time of year to feed a fig, and pointless, as it will be losing its leaves any time now.

Figs do much better in the sun.  They are on the edge of their range in this country.  Help them out!

23/09/2012 at 13:20

how should I prun a fig tree that is larger than i need it to be? thanks. 

23/09/2012 at 17:22

Cut out the branches you don't want.  Are you remembering to pinch out the shoots at five or six leaves, each year, before the end of June?

24/09/2012 at 10:02

thanks welshonion, must admit have not remembered but again i was not aware of the fact. thanks again

email image
8 messages