Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plum problem!

and once again this year we have had a fantastic crop. However, some of the plums have small holes in the skin, and when cut, there are kind of black 'bits' around the stone, and a pink caterpillar/grub there too. Yuk. Does  anyone know what this is, and more importantly how I can stop it happening again next year? Thank you. (Warm and sunny here in Midlands image )

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Important thing to do though is to remove all the plums, when ripe and burn or bin the infected ones. That reduces the population a little.

• Hi,

You need to put grease bands on the trees and make sure you give them a winterwash each winter. Also you need to remove any fallen fruit/affected fruit and burn otherwise the grubs go back into the soil ready to start the cycle all over again.

P.S Deacons Nursery on the Isle of Wight are experts in growing fruit trees and are are generally always happy to give advice over the phone or by email.

• Sorry to gate crash,, but as we are on the subject of plum trees, mine has had silver leaf for about 4 years now. It still bares fruit but looks awful. should I cut it down, its a  very old tree and would be sad to loose itimage

• Had plum moth problem for a few years.  Generally first crop is bad - just cut out all the grubs and cooked for crumble as usual (but didn't tell visitors! image)

This year, thinned the fruit before it ripened and threw out many of the fruits which had the tell tale sign of seeping goo.... certainly less grubs to deal with this year.

• Hello All

New here but I to have problem, I have a very young plum tree 2/4 yrs maybe, it has dead shrivelled leaves on it  not looking healthy at all, leaves are brown too, is there something I can do.

Hope some of you know the answer,          Thank's in advance 

desmo11225