Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

looking for inspiration

Our garden is enjoying its second summer since its extensive refurbishment. However we think it would benefit from having the edges softening. we'd like to plant a line of something along the edge of the gravel next to the fence to try to blend the two hard surfaces together. The area I mean is where the gravel meets the fence under the apple espaliers. the obvious choice would be lavender. we have a lot already out the front of the house so I arrive on the forum for suggestions for alternatives. Please.

The gravel path is 3 feet wide, access to the beds will be required. I'm in the vale of Evesham on clay.

The two photos are of one side, the opposite site is identical.

Goodness knows why these photos have uploaded up side down, forgive me.

and one of the whole, taken just after completion a couple of years ago

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Thats  a very neat veg patch, well done Paul

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pauly3Pauly3 Posts: 17

thanks... hence the need to soften it's hard 'neatness'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

rather than lavender, how about catmint? There is a huge range from tiny cushions to romping spreaders ( ooh erh  missus )

Agree with Lyn, as usual, very neat.

Devon.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I was thinking herbs too. I would suggest lots of different varieties of thyme. Also oregano and flat leaf parsley, winter savoury, summer savoury (think it is only an annual) tarragon, chives (can be invasive, but can be pulled out) a small prostrate rosemary. Not mint as it is invasive. I use 'Snow in summer' (I think it is properly called cistus tormentosa, but may be wrong) to soften some of my gravel areas. When it gets too big I just use scissors to cut it back; it will always grow towards the sun.image

• And the Russian Sage that Artjac introduced me to at Bressingham. Smells gorgeous.  I'll be getting some.image

• Sorry Artjak re name misspelling image

Snoodle; you may spell my name any way you wishimage That Russian sage is fabulous, I cut some for the house and the scent is lovely. The proper name begins with 'P', (Perovskia or something like that...)  but Nut or Dove would know it. None of us knew that other wonderful scented bush did we?

• Pauly3Pauly3 Posts: 17

Ok thanks all. we like the idea of santolina, is there a national collection anywhere as its a new one on us.

or even a small variety of catnip but it would need to be an almost miniature variety. is there a national collection of catnip too?

on the opposite side of the garden we have two (now) huge Blue hyssop plants, if they didn't get so large they would work. 

I would have thought that Santolina is a pretty big plant to edge those beds with. Maybe some small alpine type plants would be better?