London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 17°C
20 messages
24/04/2013 at 15:30
Last summer when we first moved into our new home, my nan dug up loads of bits and bobs from their garden.. Among the many plants was what she called her 'swan plant'. It had long thin reed-like leaves and flowers that did indeed look like swans... I am quite certain it was crocosmia masoniorum. Since the summer however it's long died back but as I've finally made it back out into the garden now the suns out, I've noticed quite bulky red shoots coming up in its place. Before i start churning everything up and sorting the boarders i just wondered if anyone knew if this the same plant or am I being over run with brambles or something?
http://i36.tinypic.com/et5s28.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/1zlaw5y.jpg

Please excuse my probable stupidity but I've never had my own garden before!
24/04/2013 at 15:32
Oh and the green in the pic is just some daffodils that came up
24/04/2013 at 15:45
Doesn't look like crocosmia to me. And please don't think you're stupid, crikey, we all started somewhere!
24/04/2013 at 15:46

Pictures are hard to look at sideways

That doesn't look like crocosmia to me-nor is it brambles

It may be something you dont want-seems very prolific-have you asked a neighbour if it came up last year??

24/04/2013 at 15:49

..the little purple shoots look like Paeonies to me...  I notice we can enlarge photos again...

24/04/2013 at 15:55
or it could be euphorbia
24/04/2013 at 15:57

I'll go with little-ann. Euphorbia, Fireglow or Dixter or one of those sort

24/04/2013 at 16:54

Luubear-not crocosmia-their new shoots just look like broad bright green grass, like smaller version of it's full grown leaves. If I can I'll take a pic of mine-they're just coming through now.

Looks like loosestrife to me- or, unfortunately, and I hope not, it's friendly neighbourhood thug cousin-rosebay willow herb. If it's left to seed around it becomes perennial. 

Lazy gardener- if you click on pic it turns right way round!

24/04/2013 at 17:10
@Salino, my first thought was huge clump of peonies too, but then went have a peek at mine, and the unfurling fimbriated leaf shape's quite different. They do look a bit like lilies, don't they?
24/04/2013 at 17:18
Aha! Nut cutlet suggests loosestrife, which makes me think that Luubear's 'swan plant' and possibly these young shoots are lysimachia.
24/04/2013 at 17:21

If it was me I'd wait and see what it turns into. If it's a thug you can still dig it up and cut of any seed heads. It might have lovely flowers, in which case it would be a shame to throw it out.

24/04/2013 at 17:24
Maybe you could google lysimachia clethroides, aka gooseneck loosestrife, and see if those are the swan plants.
The plot thickens!
24/04/2013 at 18:26

I think that's probably it figrat. It may look like a euphorbia  but they'd never be referred to as swan plants

24/04/2013 at 19:37

I've seen enough of the damn stuff in the last few years so I was pretty sure about it fig! We had yellow loosestrife by the pond at last house -it was one of the few things the rabbits didn't touch-but the whole place was riddled with rosebay, and it's why I hate the purple loosestrife.

It's easy enough to get rid of if need be, if it's not too big an area, and easy to enough to keep in check Luubear.

26/04/2013 at 11:31

Luubear -here's what your corocosmia should look like. Hope this helps 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22636.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

26/04/2013 at 13:21

Fireglow, just like mine! 

26/04/2013 at 13:41

The foliage on Fireglow does look like perennial willow herb foliage (when it's annual it doesn't look quite the same) but mine is definitely crocosmia! The other clue for me is that Luubear has bare ground where it's popping up whereas with crocosmia you usually have the old clump from last year -and some dead foliage- with the new fresh growth coming through.

The plot does indeed thicken! 

26/04/2013 at 16:59

WOW thanks for all the replies!!!! I didn't get any notification to my email so I didn't think anyone had replied! 

Hmmm, fairygirl, from the pictures of yours corocosmias, I am realising that I have that over the other side of the garden and the bunch that was planted in this spot must have disappeared!

should I just leave it to grow a bit longer? And if it can be ID when it's a little bigger then I will know whether to get the fork on it and dig it all out? I've shoved summer seeds pall over that bit now though! Haha I was impatient and just threw some seeds over it!

26/04/2013 at 17:06

And AH YES Figrat!!! My boyfriend just looke at the pictures of the gooseneck loosestrife Google search and he swears that's them! I was convinced they were red but I think the red ones are in the other border and look just like Fairygirls pic..

i think gyro ive solved it! So do they keep coming back stronger each year? I'm so happy!! Thank you for everyones help!

26/04/2013 at 17:24

I thinks Figrat has solved it* auto-correct....

email image
20 messages