London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
5 messages
10/03/2014 at 21:32

It's my roses again, only this time it's the leaves rather than the stems that I'm concerned about.    I have many of last year's dark green leaves still clinging onto my Wollerton Old Hall and Shropshire Lad climbing roses.  Lots of these leaves have brown and black patches/spots on them.  Should I remove them?  There are lots of new shoots sprouting on the old canes, - especially WOH.  Also some of the old leaves did drop off, but have left the central spine still clinging to the plant.  Should I remove those?  I know you are told to cut off the tatty old leaves of hellebores, but don't know if the same applies to roses.  I await the fruits of your combined knowledge!  

10/03/2014 at 21:42

I'd pick them off and get rid of them before they spread whatever diseases they've got to the new ones.

But I know nothing about roses

10/03/2014 at 21:54

This sometimes happens to other woody stemmed subjects.  For instance.  Fuchsias often retain old leaves far into the new growing season.  If you can see any visible defects or signs that  disease etc might be to blame.  Then as suggested pick the leaves off.  Otherwise leave them.  In time they will fall.

10/03/2014 at 22:45

Pick off the diseased leaves and burn them asap, then you can prune quite hard and mulch with well rotted manure/compost and give them a feed as well, they should romp away in a few weeks.

I'd prune out the old stem as WOH is very healthy and sends up plenty of new shoots from the base, this will keep it nice and bushy, same with shropshire lad.

10/03/2014 at 22:55

Dave, they are young plants, only got them as bareroots from David Austin just over a year ago, so is it still right to prune out the first year's growth?

email image
5 messages