Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pruning Hydrangea Limelight

YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I planted a Hydrangea Paniculata Limelight last year and it flowered beautifully.  Not sure if I should prune it this year and, if it does need pruning, not sure how to do it.  I've looked at it and can't tell the difference between the old and new wood.  I'm keen to keep it in check as I don't want it to grow too large.  Can anyone help.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

When I read up on it Verdun it said to cut back to 2cm above old wood, does that mean that if I cut into old wood it wont flower?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

We cut ours back to a pair of healthy buds about 25 cms above the ground. (10 inches). Feed them and they soon throw up good shoots which flower.

We do this with all 12 of the H. paniculata we have. About now is the time too,

No favourite, I like them all, even the one which has died three times on us. Japanese place name. Memory has gone. Actually I do have a soft spot for Vanille Fraise though.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Thanks folks I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

We would have all of them, but sadly even here we have run out of space. Even pruned they do make big shrubs.

I also like H, grandiflora, which is very similar. H,g Red Annabelle is rather nice.