London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
12 messages
11/06/2013 at 11:34

I am having difficulty growing astrantia from seed,with only one seedling so far.

How do you grow them?

11/06/2013 at 15:42

cotty.. i have struggled for some years to grow them.. but last year i harvested a load of white seeds and a colour i do not know as pinched seed head form osbourne house gardens and they have all grown.. have over 35 young healthy plants.

so each time i have tried differenct ways to get them to seed..

this time i sowed them in a tray soon after harvesting.. let them dry out for bit then seeded. kept htem in my greenhouse and kept moist.. and checked on them regularlay.. they stayed in my greenhouse in a shady bit under the shelving all winter long every couple weeks i would rough up the surface a bit and poke any seeds i could see back in.. they ahve stayed in my greenhouse the whole time even when it has been hot in there.. they have loved it.... in march time they started to shooting and i just pricked them out into a celluar tray when they got second leaves..

i dont know if this ws just luck this time or i have finally masterd it.. i do not know.. but that is what i will doing again this year.. as well as splittig them.. that i have been told is good too.

11/06/2013 at 16:45

My established plants seed around of their own accord, so I get lots of free plants although I never know what colour they will turn out to be for a year or two. If you have established plants keep an eye out for little ones....

11/06/2013 at 17:45

As with many apiaceae, fresh seed and winter chill is the way to go.

11/06/2013 at 21:51

Thanks I will keep trying.

their is always one! Woodgreen wonderboy great name.nominative determinism,make me feel better that your name doesn't live up to itself.Tell me about some failures.

12/06/2013 at 18:53

Nut, you've been talking to that Carol Klein lady again.

KEF
12/06/2013 at 20:29

Astrantia Major bulbs now half price at Tesco two for one fifty..just thought I'd mention a I've bought some.

12/06/2013 at 22:24

bulbs?

12/06/2013 at 22:31

WW, sorry. apiaceae? Them umbellifers

If you're trying to grow things from seed it really helps to know what's in which family. Many members of the same family have germination requirements in common.   

13/06/2013 at 07:29

Hi Nut, I totally agree and wish I knew a bit more about the various types and their requirements. I recently noticed an indoor cyclamen had some seed pods so I have sowed them to see if they germinate. Didn't refridgerate these, so here's hoping.

We gardeners are ever the optimists.... presumably pessimists don't become gardeners?

13/06/2013 at 08:01

I don't think pessimists become proper gardeners WW.

I'm still getting germination from seed thats been set for months, I'm still optimistic. More than optimistic. I'm confident that the paeonies that didn't germinate this year will germinate next.

Re the cyclamen. Nothing tender needs chilling, It's not part of their world.

13/06/2013 at 08:19

Thanks... I keep you in the pucture.

email image
12 messages