London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
41 to 50 of 50 messages
02/04/2013 at 22:53
Still nothing at all. They are in the conservatory and other cuttings are growing but these still look the same!!
02/04/2013 at 23:18
Oohhh dont give up folks...mine are up now but they took 13 weeks so dont panic. Ignore the wee buggers and they come when your not looking lol. I gave up on the first batch which had a stern talking too and a couple of days later...up they came. I think they smell the panic lol. They are very slow growing aswell.
17/07/2013 at 00:26
I found that it self-seeded fairly well. But a cold winter called 'fair thee well' in the end. My brief summation is that the species is not totally hardy to the full effects of the UK climate.
17/07/2013 at 12:14

Hmmmmm. thats a thought to keep in mind then. Think I will keep some on the go for that reason come spring. Thanks. 

17/07/2013 at 13:29

i've got some flowering from last years. I save seed each year and sow it in plug trays, and then just pop the plugs in where I want them. about 50% survive most winters.

17/07/2013 at 14:10

I noticed my neighbour clearing a flower bed in her front garden the other day.

The 'soil' was dry clay that was like concrete, yet there were 100's of V.B. seedlings about 2" she was clearing. She bought 3 plants last yr and they've seeded all over the place.

Even 1 coming up in the fottpath!
I sowed seed in March and my plants are about 9" now

Good luck!

17/07/2013 at 14:10

reading this post reminded me that I tried some verbena b seeds this year but gave up on them. I've just been to have a look again - could they be amongst this straggly crew?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27708.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

And if so what would be the next plan?

17/07/2013 at 14:28

Did you ask for some seedlings, Pete8?

You could leave them where they are until next spring, if you need the space then pot them up into MPC with added grit. not till it's cooller though!

After a winter they always look dead but I just leave them be, cut off obvious tall dead growth and see what happens. They often come up from the base, I think some folk think they are dead, Patience is the game, but you will lose a couple.

17/07/2013 at 14:32

Can't see anything resembling VB there, but at the far left you have what looks like lavender (with the thin slightly furry leaves) and several other seedlings look like they may not be weeds.  The group of 5 healthy looking ones on the right look interesting - I seem to recognise them, but can't think what they are at the moment.

28/07/2013 at 07:58

Found another tray of seedlings hidden in one of my beds - complete with label VB! 3 sets of leaves each. How would I care for them now? Will they grow to anything for this or next year or is it too late?

email image
41 to 50 of 50 messages