Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I dont' believe it!!

I do not believe it....  I spotted  a biggish slug sunbathing, promptly reached for my trowel and chopped it in half, then was amazed to see the head half take off at a great rate of knotts.

can slugs regrow ???? surely not!

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

Eeeew! How far did the head get?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

if worms can why not.

• So now do we need to chop them into lots of little bits image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Gross but I'm bent double laughing at the image of sunbed. Next time stand on it and see how many places it spreads. Now I feel sick.

• KEF must admit I do sometimes put the ball of my foot on and twist as you would if you were extinguishing a cigarette.

• Me too - when I'm not chopping them in han't be much funu being a slug - maybe this one got its own back!!

• John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 541
    flowering rose wrote (see)

if worms can why not.

It's a myth that a worm cut in half will become 2 worms; both halves will die and all you will get is 2 halves of one dead worm. Info gained from Qi programme when Alan Davies got the big buzzer when he answered 'you get 2 worms'

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I watched some info on Springwatch this year about slugs and snails. Mostly pertaining to mating habits, but nothing regrows. image

They get around on a muscle that is just like a giant foot and they are both sexes, tending to do it with each other at the same time. Also, the boys bits come out of their heads and if they get tangled up, which can happen, the other slug or snail simply bites off the offending item...image and they don't regrow it.

After that, they get to just be the girl.

So, that information has made me less stressed when I chop them in half with my secateurs because they are probably not feeling much pain as we might..because other bits and pieces get bitten off all the time...right?image