8 messages
02/04/2013 at 19:44

Hi, we have been given  4 different apple trees and 1 pear tree , is it ok to plant them close to each other? do we need to get a second pear tree to aid pollination? thanks Janet

02/04/2013 at 19:56

Do you know what varieties you have and what rootstocks they're grafted on to?

02/04/2013 at 20:02

We have 3 Braeburn apples trees,  1 conference pear tree, look about 2-3 years old, in pots. came from a house clearance and hopefully will survive being planted out, no other information I'm afraid

02/04/2013 at 21:18

We bought apple/pear trees from Ashridge trees a couple of years ago - they have a great website where you can check out which varieties you need to pollinate which.

We have a pear "Beth" to go with our Conference - don't know about Braeburns, but I'm sure this website will help you out.

02/04/2013 at 21:23

Just checked out the website (to make sure I hadn't given you duff info!) - and it is still all there.  Your Braeburns are from Group E, so you will need to choose another variety that is D,E or F to go with it.

I think the other alternative is to plant a crab apple, which will pollinate anything.

02/04/2013 at 21:49

This site has a list of suitable pollinators for Braeburn http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/pollinationchecker.aspx?v=1008 .  Braeburn self fertile and will fruit without cross-pollination but yield will be heavier with a suitable tree nearby.

Conference is also self-fertile - the same website describes it as 'genuinely self fertile' and says that it does not need cross-pollination, and that has been my experience.

As for distance apart, without knowing which rootstock they're grafted onto we can't tell how large they will grow.  Have a look here http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/fruit-tree-spacing-guide - I think I'd assume they're on dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstocks.

02/04/2013 at 22:05

If they are on dwarf root stock then you can leave them in pots and just add a good quality feed every few months during the growing season. You can also feet tomato feed once a week when the fruit are starting to swell if you keep them in their pots. I have cherry, apple and plum trees in pots that are approx 5 years old and they gave a good crop last year and as they were in pots I could move them around the garden when we had the hevey wind and rain last year.

03/04/2013 at 08:25

Thanks for the comments and advice, has been very useful especially with the web sites suggested.

email image
8 messages