Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Hello, 

We have made a raised bed (about 6ft x 3ft),  dug it over, added compost and covered it with polythene for the winter.  Now - the hard part - to decide what to plant in it!

I thought I'd do a three year rotation :Year 1 Snap peas/cucumber/peppers

Year 2 cauliflower /sweetheart cabbage/Brussels

Year 3 onions/carrots /spinach

Does this sound reasonable?  Will three crops fit in this size bed or should I do more or less? Are any of these difficult to grow?

Any advice welcome,  I've read loads of books but I've still so many questions I thought it was time for the real experts!

Cheers

Sonya

You could get much more variety from your bed if you would like to .

Have a look at 'Metre square gardening' and 'Square foot gardening'. Suttons Seeds are offering a free 7 day trial of a veg planner tool and suggest seeds for small varieties that would be suitable to grow in this way.

You don't say where you are. In many parts of the UK peppers would not be a reliable crop outdoors, as they like lots of warmth. Cucumbers too would struggle in some places.

Another thing to think about is cost effectiveness. The cabbage family generally make quite large plants, so you wouldn't get many, and caulis can be tricky to get right, but they are all fairly cheap to buy.  Peas and beans are easy to grow but quite expensive and so are salad leaves, so if you like them it would make more sense to concentrate on these in your limited space.

Lots to think about, but don't worry, you don't need to plant much for another month or two, so you still have  time to think about it

NewBoy2

The basic question is to ask yourself  " Why am I doing this "

Save money

Just for fun

Feed the family

So you can eat specific food

Step back a bit and decide where you want to be veggie wise in Summer 2018

There are literally more questions than answers but the main thing is to .............enjoy it !!

8000wildflowers

Agree with the suggestion on square foot gardening - cramming the veg in goes against conventional spacing advice but it works and is an amazing use of space so you can get more in than you've planned already. Just google it for lots of sample beds/plans. And you get even more space if you grow up on poles too. I'm on year 3 of it. Also if you use slightly raised beds you can quickly replace the compost with fresh each year (throw the used compost on your flower beds as mulch so it's not wasted) which helps reduce disease and is full of new nutrients.

And try tomatoes and courgettes.!

Good luck.

Thanks guys,  will take a look at the Square foot gardening!

I'm in Southampton so fairly warm. 

The veg I picked were all ones my daughter eats 

Advertisement

NewBoy2

Sonya2

Your RB...how tall is it ?

Well the boards are 8inches but I guess it's not full to the top so probably about 6inches deep

NewBoy2

On our allotments there are some bordered areas the same height as you that basically "contain " some soil in one area.

Others are 3 boards high up to 2 foot deep where you can grow 18" long parsnips and 12 " long carrots up to and after Christmas

? How big a total area do you have available