Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pumpkins

Hi Everyone,

Something keeps eating my young Pumpkin plants, one has completely gone, the other is now half eaten.  Has anyone got any ideas on what could be doing this and how it could be stopped.

Thanks. Heather

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Slugs?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Slugs and snails.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Slugs are the prime suspect-scatter slug pellets and.go out at night with a torch and you will see them dining-then dispose in what ever way you want

• Hello, Advice much appreciated thankyou. Heather

• Amy  SmithAmy Smith Posts: 20

Silly question but is there trails of slime? I have a Butternut Squash plant and mine is getting eaten too, but there is NOTHING to suggest caterpillars/slugs/snails. As a few of my plants have been being attacked to the point that there is nothing left (Broccoli, strawberries, and a few others too) all the same with no evidence what so ever of anything slug/snail related, I put out a plea on Facebook and someone suggested Pigeons. I do have a few pigeons in the local area as well as other birds as well, so my guess is that this is what is destorying my leaves. I have this weekend put up some netting but its too soon to tell if this is whats destroying my leaves. 

Hopefully this helps, but this my first year growing stuff so I have no clue myself. x

• Yes it could be Pigeons I have quite a few visit my garden on a regular basis.  I have also invested in a net, as they are now eating my beans and peas. Heather.

• Shirley5Shirley5 Posts: 1

I lost all brassicas one year to pigeons.image