London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
18 messages
13/03/2012 at 17:42

I have heard that you cannot grow tomatos and cucumbers together in the greenhouse - is this true?

21/03/2012 at 02:53

Not to my knowledge. Both mine did well in the same greenhouse last year. They probably would have liked to have their own growing conditions slightly tweeked in their favour but they seem to do well enough.

21/03/2012 at 07:46

The reason they say not to grow tomatoes and cucumbers in the same house is because tomatoes like low humidity and cucumbers like high humdity.  Having said that, I too have had success growing both in the same house!  

Richard

21/03/2012 at 13:40

As long as you don't put them in the same growbag/pot, or grow them close (and I mean like next door to each other). Last year I grew mine on opposite sides of the green house and it was fine. My green house isn't huge either!

26/03/2012 at 22:24

i put toms nearest the door & cucumbers at the back

29/03/2012 at 23:56

Ditto, had very sucessful crops from both together in the green house

30/03/2012 at 07:41

I put my cucumbers in pots each side of my 8x6 greenhouse & tomatoes in growbags along one side - it works well"

19/01/2014 at 09:46

I have bumped this thread as Jean6 answer is I think a better answer to two different climates required for Tomatoes and cucumbers in the same green house

Clueless

19/01/2014 at 10:31
Thanks Clueless, I'm glad you have and that is what I will be doing with mine now. Fab site this for learning!!
19/01/2014 at 14:01

I grow tomatoes and cucumbers in the same greenhouse, always have done. I don't grown them in growbags I grow them in Auto Pots which are self watering and I had a fantastic crop last year from both tomatoes and cucumbers.

19/01/2014 at 14:34

In an ideal world you would grow them separately as cucumbers prefer a high humidity and tomatoes prefer low humidity.  The reason for this is that tomatoes are prone to fungal diseases which are promoted by high humidity and can spread rapidly under such conditions, which is why we try and grow them quite dry and not over-water them.  Cucumbers on the other hand are prone to spider-mite which love hot, dry conditions so we try and grow these plants in very humid conditions which spider-mite don't like.

In reality, most of us only have one greenhouse so grow them together and, if unlucky enough to get a disease or pest problem, are unable to control it well to the detriment of one crop or the other.  I much prefer tomatoes to cucumbers so when spider-mite descends on my cuc's, they are sacrificed.  Unfortunately that happened every year for several years so I have stopped growing them for the last 2 years and am hoping that has cleared-up any over-wintering mites (there are no effective sprays, organic or otherwise to fully control a bad infestation.)

It's not until you get a disease/pest problem that you appreciate the facts about their different growing conditions!

19/01/2014 at 23:41

think i'll try growing my cucumbers in a cheep plastic grow house (which are hard to ventilate for tomatoes) and use the greenhouse for Toms and peppers

21/01/2014 at 09:36

Never had a problem with cues and toms-even touching each other.

A tip though-grow the cues in the corners of the greenhouse. Tends to have a higher humidity there.

21/01/2014 at 10:58

sorry to hijack the the thread somewhat. is it possible to grow and get decent crops from growing tomatoes (and peppers while we are at it) outside without a greenhouse?

i can plant them in a pot/growbag up a warm wall that is also south-east facing (it would lose the sun around 3pm ish in summer). im in the midlands and it's a fairly sheltered spot.

21/01/2014 at 11:11

Djjjuk, yes you can grow tomatoes outside.  I grow lovely ones in troughs using multipurpose compost under my east facing kitchen window.  I feed them with a proprietry tomato feed from when fist fruits form.  I am on the other side of B'ham to you - near Tamworth.  They do better there than if I put them against a fence facing south.  Good luck!  Maggie

21/01/2014 at 12:26

djjjuk, toms need at least 6 hours a day of direct sunlight for optimum growth*. They will cope with less but their progress will suffer accordingly. Ditto temperatures. Low 20sC and above are fine. The lower you go, the more they will suffer.

*Until the toms have grown and are ready to ripen. At that point, direct sunlight isn't necessary. Ripening is down to temperature, not sunlight.

21/01/2014 at 12:52

thanks italophile and staffsmags. well going on recent summers, we seem to have had most days at or around late teens/low twenties, and the odd spell when it hottens up about 2 separate weeks or so (normally may and one week in august or so). this coupled with the most likely location of the plant with regards to sunlight hours probably means i'll struggle to get anything decent out of them. might have to go back to the drawing board ..

21/01/2014 at 15:11

djjjuk - just have a go.  ok, so you won't get award-winning fruit but it will be lovely to go and pick them fresh from the vines and they do taste better than supermarket supplies.   Maggie 

email image
18 messages