7 messages
06/05/2013 at 10:51

Hi there,

I am an amateur gardener with a small courtyard garden here in Brighton.

We have a few flower beds but I'm keen to put in a raised bed so we can grow some vegetables as featured in this months magazine.

Anyway, my question is to do with the dimensions of raised beds on sale at places like Screw Fix. They are 1000 x 1000 x 200mm

Isn't 200mm is little shallow given in real terms the soil will only be 175mm deep?

Thanks,

Mark

06/05/2013 at 12:21

It will depend what you intend to grow eg lettuce or potatoes?. If you are setting the raised bed onto open soil or setting int onto a paved surface etc. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration....let us know which ones apply to you and then we will be able to give better advice. 

06/05/2013 at 12:33

My raised beds are not very deep but they are on top of earth, albeit clay, which I loosened up a bit by digging and adding some compost before using a mix of compost and topsoil on top. Each year the contents of the compost bins get emptied on to the beds, so the good growing medium is getting deeper. Right from the start I could grow root veg like beetroot, but I always grow potatoes in potato bags for the depth.

JJ8
06/05/2013 at 12:41

My raised beds are relatively shallow owing to the poor soil and the fact that we have had to put top soil on. We have managed to grow a number of crops with some success including salad veg, beetroot, onions, some varieties of carrot, sweet corn and parsnips. On our recently acquired allotment, just down the road, we are having less sucess and are in the process ofgetting some manure and soil delivered. Fingers crossed.

06/05/2013 at 13:58

Thanks for all of your swift responses guys.

The raised bed would be sited on concrete and we were hoping to grow onion crops as illustrated in the mag - leeks, onions, garlic, shallots, spring onions, salad leaves and cos lettuce.

06/05/2013 at 14:52

With something so shallow and relatively small it will dry out very quickly.  This can be a problem.

Never believe everything you see in a magazine.  The raised bed you mention will be fine for salad crops.

07/05/2013 at 14:58

My raised bed is made from treated timber gravel boards from a firm that sells fencing etc. I made it myself using 2x2" in the corners. Since you are putting it on concrete you could make the bed double height. Alternatively, get someone with a jackhammer to dig up the concrete in that area. Good luck with it

email image
7 messages