London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
5 messages
16/05/2012 at 21:36
Hello guys, I'm really hoping you can help me on this. I bought some rasberry canes from a garden centre on Saturday gone to plant out up my allotment. I got them home, read the little instructions that come with it and followed them word for word....however...... Now they are dying. The leaves are turning brown and curling over. Having looked on the Internet, they say it's because I have planted them out at that wrong time. Apparently you should plant them out in the autumn, they never said this on the plants!! Should I remove them from the ground and leave them in a conservatory or something or just stick with them? They had a good root structure, I watered them in well and set in good ground. I just don't understand. I've heard root rot being banded about because of the wet weather we've been having. Please help me!!
16/05/2012 at 21:43

They'll be fine - leave them where you planted them. They're adjusting to their new surroundings - they may have been in a cosy section at the gardencentre and now they are not !! This rubbish weather, hopefully, will pass soon and they'll put on new growth. 

16/05/2012 at 21:56
Yes apologies for the two posts! Phew, that's a relief. Ill just keep an eye on them. We're due some better (well drier) weather over the coming week so will see how they hold out. Fingers crossed! Thanks!!
20/05/2012 at 13:20

Raspberries are remarkably tough, leave them where they are, given some light and warmth they will develop nice strong root systems, then new shoots.  Next year you should get flowers and fruit.  Patience is a virtue in gardening but raspberries are well worth waiting for.  

Just a warning, they can be very invasive - some of ours have come up several meters away from where they were planted - not something that many suppliers tell you about either.

20/05/2012 at 14:01
Totally agree with bookertoo my canes also like to grow away from the parent plant. Handy though I carefully dig them up and move them further along the fence the others are grown against. I love free plants.
email image
5 messages