Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rhubarb

I have tried unsuccesfully to grow rhubarb for two years, I get about 4 sticks and thats it, what am I doing wrong? is there a knack to doing this, is the soil wrong ? is it in the wrong place ? can anyone give me any tips please, we love rhubarb especially in a crumble and would love to have lots to harvest

thank you to anyone who can help

Roger

• jeffdjeffd Posts: 61

Rhubarb will grow in most soil types except waterlogged ground, Plant in deeply dug ground which has had garden compost or well rotted manure added. Never pick the stems in its first year, and only a few stems in the second year, in the third you can pick what you need. once established they last many years. hope this helps.

• sheddysheddy Posts: 15

Thank you for that,I will give it a go againimage

• beware of slugs - they can eat through base of stems.  You could try dividing the plant in winter and planting half in a different place - mine prospered when moved.

• Hello Sheddy,

Rhubarb prefers a sunny, open site and soil that is slightly on the acidic side. As jeffd says it really loves to be fed. You can add fertiliser around the crowns in spring. Don't let it flower. Keep it well-watered from spring onwards, remove dead leaves and weed the area regularly. Don't pick it too often as that will weaken the plant. It is too early to despair. When rhubarb is getting too old it will produce lots of thin stalks. Next winter you should divide your plants. But don't worry about that yet!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team.

• sheddysheddy Posts: 15

Thanks for your information Emma,I will do that

Roger

• Karen906Karen906 Posts: 2

Why does mine keep dying.  I have bought 3 plants so far (Timperley) and all have rotted off.  Have tried them in different position within the garden, the last plant I put in large pot with plenty of well rotted manure and still it die.  What am I doing wrong.

• Karen906Karen906 Posts: 2

then why do mine keep dying.  I have bought 3 plants so far (Timperley) and all have rotted off.  Have tried them in different position within the garden, the last plant I put in large pot with plenty of well rotted manure and still it die.  What am I doing wrong.

• BriBri Posts: 13

Reading some of the threads, i wonder if you can pamper the stuff just too much. I have a plant in my garden that was there when we moved in to the house in 1985. The Rubarb is in just a small nook and was just a small plant for some 8 or 9 yrs. I split the plant for a family member to take a crown and since then it just grows and grows with not much help. I can't remember the last time it had a feed and today I have had a nice Rubarb crumble from the plant with more than I can use left. Soil is PH neutral and I guess the plant was there quite some time before us. Not a clue what the varity is but it tastes very nice thank you.image

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I have two rhubarb problems.

One is a variety - forget what now but only just appearing this last few weeks - that produces lovely thick dark red stems which only ever grow to about 10cm long (if I'm lucky). I had to move it last year so took care to plant it at the correct depth.

The other is an earlier variety that seems to have two growing points. One is producing decent thickness and length stems, the other is producing quite spindly ones.  This plant was an offcut of the thriving, nay rampant, rhubarb that grew in our school garden and it has been in place 5 or 6 years. 

They are both in a fairly sunny spot in soil that is slightly alkaline.

Sorry to ramble on. Grateful to those who read!

FloBear

• I was just consoling my 87 year old Dad who's rhubarb is not looking promising for the second year in a row. During the disscusion it became apparent that this was a piece of root that he had brought with him when he moved 25 years ago.  The original plant was already in situ in the garden of my childhood home where we moved in 1968!! He's never forced or fed it. I've never grown rhubarb so can offer little advice but feel the need to keep it going so plan on taking a piece for my own garden.  

Is there anything i can do before winter? i'd love some suggestions on how i can keep this old chap going,- the rhubarb that is!