London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
24/02/2014 at 14:13

Where do you guys and gals buy there vegetable seeds from?

24/02/2014 at 14:38

Garden centre, online from seed companies,supermarket.

24/02/2014 at 14:53

I have got my seeds over the last few years from Kings Seeds.

Good service and good quality and price

24/02/2014 at 14:59

Like fidget- GC / and supermarket.  DIY stores are handy too. Don't often buy online simply because I've never needed to!

24/02/2014 at 16:06

Allotment shop, Harrogate or Tatton flower shows, Seeds of Distinction. Free with magazines.

24/02/2014 at 16:46

Had a lovely crop of onions from a 59p seed packet from Poundstretcher last year.  A lot of recognised seed brands are more like £1.99 or £2.49 a packet, or even up to the £3.00 mark, depending on the crop of course.  Unless you are looking for a particular variety, it's always worth giving the cheaper seeds a go.  However, in my experience, for some things, (runner beans springs to mind) the cheaper brands are less good.  Last year I tried budget seeds and only about one or two plants came from a whole packet.  I wasted a lot of time waiting for the first half a pack to germinate (didn't need loads of plants) then when only one did, planted the other half - no better luck.  In the end I went with a reputable brand, and got enough plants, although I have to say even then, there were a lot of duds.  At school sports day I got into a conversation with other parents/grandparents, who all reported difficulties with getting runner beans up (by this time it was early July).  So maybe it was a universal problem with last year's seed.  Places like The Range and B & M are also good for cheap garden related stuff, if you are willing to take a punt, and if you are anywhere near a JTF warehouse, they have cheap stuff, but only in the north of the country I think and you have to join.  Good luck!

24/02/2014 at 18:35

Bought my Pea seed(Kelvedon Wonder) in Lidl yesterday. Will start them in modules before planting out. If the seed is no good I'll know straight away. bought the same variety last year from the 2 euro shop and had very few failures. Seed are seed only the profit margin differs.

24/02/2014 at 18:41

In my experience, cheap seeds often mean a smaller quantity, which suits me fine; I don't really want 200 carrots

24/02/2014 at 18:49

Or 3000 letuce plants

24/02/2014 at 22:47

Lidl, Aldi, Teso and Sainsbury's.If they aren't there it's online at Nickys Nurseries.

25/02/2014 at 09:52

In the past I picked up cheap seeds from all of the above but this year I've hit the real seed company, a bit more pricey but really interesting varieties and you can harvest seeds from the crops as they are not hybirds, all their seeds have gone crazy with life so far with virtually no fails on the things I've put into individual pots such as peas, cucumbers etc.  Nice company to deal with, I've also joined seed sharing websites such as seedy pen palls and have received a great package from them in return for seeds i just wouldn't have used, who wants 2 thousand carrots?

email image
11 messages