Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fencing for raised beds

Yes I am posting like its going out of fashion but while its cold and miserable the mind just keeps ticking over with projects. I'm looking to put raised veg beds at the front if my house. In thinking about fencing or willow hurdles or 'something' instant for screening. Does anyone have experience of this? How long does it last? Does it fade, flop, rot?? Any better suggestions? Has a one else put this around raised beds to shield/hide the veg at the front??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

What about a living willow 'fedge' http://inspirationgreen.com/living-willow-hedges.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Stunning really gorgeous but worried about cost and maint! Does it grow fast??
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Dovefromabove you've done it again what a great bit of info on Willow im definatly going to try some of that stuff its stunning (watch the roots though iv been told) those hedges are just the business really good and quick to grow I'm told

nice one matey keep it coming Gal

Cheers 4now Alan

• Roots are what I was wondering about, Dove. Hope you are feeling better, BTW.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

You can keep the roots manageable by digging along the fedge about a foot from the base and keeping that area cultivated.  The willow is going to be managed to keep it controlled on top so the roots won't become unmanageable.

Thanks GG -  regular mugs of honey, lemon juice, brandy and hot water help a bit image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Tempting as v beautiful but I know that bit would be my job to maintain and need to have a think. Saw some willow hurdles today. V v v cottagy but think I would need maybe 2.5-3ft deep
  • Thanks for the link merky. My only worry with wood panels is the maintenance. I wonder if willow hurdles would take less maintaining. I have so much fence I can't really think about applying even more creacote. Which by the way is not a patch on the creasote I use to paint the sheds with as a kid! And I love the smell, happy memory and smells clean to me!!