Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for a small shady corner

The garden (pending the grand redesign of the house and errection of a garage / workshop / man space) will be changing. So at present I have no flower beds and no where I can work on.

BUT when things are finally in place and I can start transforming the lawn into a vegetable garden (and the vegetable garden into a lawn) I will have this space (which is currently eligible for prep work)...

It is small, has hedge on one side (behind the hedge are established trees), man shed on the other so is definately shady, has a plum tree guarding the entrance and rhubarb that will move to a more suitable spot eventually. 

If this were your space (Based in finest very South Yorkshire) what would you do to best make use of it?

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

Very hard to answer without being able to see the bigger picture (i.e. a wider view of your garden).  It looks like the grass is in reasonable condition so I wonder if it's not all that shady (I might expect to see more moss if it were).  Is there any scope to trim the trees to create a little more light? I'm not sure what's behind...

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

The school behind me owns the trees so I can't see them being touched as they block several houses views of the playground at their current height.

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to upload any more photos right now but will do so as soon as I can. The area I was stood on while I took the photo is currently lawn but is marked to become vegetable beds.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Why not create a fernery. There are so many lovely ones to choose from and they are very undemanding in terms of care.

Last edited: 28 June 2016 13:40:56

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Ha ha! Unfortunately this is on the vegetable garden side so any sculptures will be hidden from view by my magnificent marrows. You won't be able to see this area from the house or lawn at all.

The waterbutt is on the front of the shed with a footpath for easy access. Do you mean Hazel that I move the water button to the back of the shed out of the way? Things would look neater 

The land is too wobbly to mow. I intend on digging it all over and levelling it as well as removing the stones. I've been putting off cutting the hedge as I don't know when birds would be finished nesting. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Oooh Pansy I like the idea of fruit canes in there; autumn fruiting raspberries (autumn bliss) might just have been added to my wish list but Im grateful for other recommendations.

Last edited: 28 June 2016 18:32:37

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

if going for autumn fruiting raspberries, I would highly recommend Polka (I've replaced all my autumn bliss with them now.)  As you have plenty of room a Jostaberry (cross between blackcurrant and gooseberry but a stronger grower than either) would love it there - and no spines!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

THANKS Bob! :)

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

No spines = maximum slug damage!