London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
20 messages
28/01/2013 at 14:24
On the site I have been reading about making a rustic trellis from hazel poles, I have quite a few willow trees (prev owner was tree daft) , do you think it would work with willow instead ? It will attach to inner of pergola as screen from neighbour (who hacked my dogwood so they now have grand view of my back garden ) grrrr.
28/01/2013 at 14:50

Is this going to be pushed into the ground?

The reason for asking- that from my memory bank willow will root quite easily-might not be what you want?/

28/01/2013 at 14:54

If you make a fence with live willow it will probably root and become a living willow trellis. If it's dead I'm not sure how long it will last, but then you can buy fencing panels made of it. Have a look at this. There are some good photos of what you can make with living willow.

http://www.livingwillow.com/        and this from the RHS which shows you how to do it.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=588

28/01/2013 at 15:05

If you strip the bark off the willow it won't grow.  I haven't found it lasts long though whatever I do to it. I haven't found hazel lasts long when pushed into the ground, soon rots. Maybe better with off the ground fence panels.

28/01/2013 at 15:48
No I was going to use them horizontally and this would attach to my pergola , I have had willow trying to grow itself before so I steer from getting anywhere near the ground. I shall find a pic of where I mean see what you think .
28/01/2013 at 16:02

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/17982.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

This has changed a bit now, this was few years ago when we completed house . The trellis would go other side of the panel as i have clematis growing up now and i grow my sweet peas here.

The red robin i lost so with the red dogwood hacked and the neighbours oil tank now moved i have a gap where they sit so can see us sat on deck and right into our garden. thought i would plant another laurel in place of red robin then screen off the deck some more with trellis.

28/01/2013 at 19:49

Hi bunny, we used hazel as a make shift trellis type structure to block a gap in the hedge. About 4-5 verticals and then the rest was woven in horizontally.

Also used fresh cut hazel for stakes to support Lupins, was very surprised last year that the stakes started growing fresh shoots, not sure if they are going to sprout this year.

Not had any experience about willow but OH tells me they go soft quickly

28/01/2013 at 20:07
Thanks Hollie hock , I may have look at hazel too.
28/01/2013 at 20:16

Made my 'rustic trellis' using bits of chestnut fencing, looks good. I have 3 now and enough for another one. At previous house used old willow from broken obelisk as well. more fragile. but was not 'green' therefore no risk of growing/ Did use light weight green wire rather than string.

28/01/2013 at 20:21
Thanks think I shall just have to 'have a go' and see what I can create, I was thinking of using some green garden wire great. Just need a dry and less gale force day now ...and no help from lab !
28/01/2013 at 20:21

Made my 'rustic trellis' using bits of chestnut fencing, looks good. I have 3 now and enough for another one. At previous house used old willow from broken obelisk as well. more fragile. but was not 'green' therefore no risk of growing/ Did use light weight green wire rather than string.

ps based on site 'how to' section

I guess you could twist willow together while soft and then hang and let dry. Should look good

28/01/2013 at 20:22

ps based on site 'how to' section

I guess you could twist (plait) willow together while soft and then hang and let dry. Should look good

28/01/2013 at 20:26
Hmmm I could get quite creative here , like the twisting idea , I could go mad and have them everywhere by the end of the year. Obelisks next perhaps hehe
28/01/2013 at 21:08

I have found a Hazel grove that I can harvest and use for trellis. I bumped into the land owner and the deal is, if i cut and use some, I plant some more. Hazel will come just by pushing it in the ground so you will have the same problem. However, I put a rusty nail in the based of them all and none of mine took but when I walked down to grove, they had all taken and sending shoots out well.

28/01/2013 at 21:10

Sorry how many times do you need that message 

28/01/2013 at 21:28
Hehehe just getting your point across

Sam I'm not putting them in the ground , like this but may twist the willow...
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-make-a-rustic-trellis/352.html
28/01/2013 at 21:39

Lol Bunny and Rosa, if Im being honest...now I see the twisting idea...neither am I  I LOVE that idea. Im going to have a wonder in the grove to see what I can find.

28/01/2013 at 21:47
29/01/2013 at 16:47

Here are 2 of mine made from chestnut fencing. Realised they were already fastened together so left the wire on. I have another at opposite end of garden that is strung together using the green wire which is not noriceable.

The great thing about this idea is that anything can be used to suit garden style - bamboo canes, willow, old bits of chestnut fencing what ever is to hand but they must be strong enough to support plants. My 2 in this photo have very new clematis and a small rambling rose

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/18025.jpg?width=337&height=350&mode=max

29/01/2013 at 16:50
Great thanks , I can see some experimenting coming along !
email image
20 messages