Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Dee Wizz

Does anyone have any advice on growing Allium Cernum?  (These are the very dainty flowers, not the big pom pom variety)

I bought bulbs last year, and as they looked far from robust thought I would start them off in a pot in a sheltered spot, planning to plant out to allow them to form a nice clump once they'd come up - the problem was they never did.  About to try again!

As long as your soil has good drainage, just chuck them in and they should be fine. Good luck.

Dee Wizz

Thank you both - perhaps my first try, being in a pot, they'd got a bit waterlogged & the bulbs just rotted off?  I will take your advice and put them straight in the ground (note to self: make sure to mark the spot so you don't dig them up by mistake!!)

Berghill

And if you are like me, then you will have millions of them all around! They seed if you do not get around to dead heading them.

nutcutlet

I grew mine from seed and they're multiplying in the most inhospitable, dry, stony place in the garden

Advertisement

Dee Wizz

Feeling very optimistic now - obviously they didn't like my wrapping them up in cotton wool & would have been better left to tough it out!  I'll be more than happy if they seed about the garden -  this spring I had a great display of (I think) allium roseum which seem to have arrived uninvited in my garden and spread like wildfire.  They looked lovely, didn't take up any room to speak of in between other plants, and in any case should be easy enough to pull out if I ever think there are too many of them.